Here’s a summary:
1. SEM rises to dominate online marketing.
2. Blogs become the best way to find out about most stuff.
3. Increased focus on meeting user needs instead of corporate goals.
4. A more pragmatic approach to e-mail.
5. RSS prepares to take centre stage in 2005.
6. Social Networks will have a make or break year in 2004.
I’m feeling pretty good about these predictions a year later. Most of this rings true to me, but I was assuming a “make” year for social networks when in hindsight I think it was more of a “break”.
What do you think the trends of 2005 will be? More of the same, or are we ready for some breakthroughs?
(I think the big trend I missed was that business was going to boom! At the end of 2003 things still seemed kind of gloomy, but 2004 turned out to be a stellar year for my business and hopefully for yours.)
In a few days I’ll provide my predictions for trends in 2005.